1. Shred or hand chop veggies of your choice: cabbage would make sauerkraut, cucumbers, pickles, etc. Pack into quart canning jar leaving 2 inches head room.
2. Add sea salt and any other spices you like. I like Mrs. Dash, pickling spice for pickles, etc.
3. Add ¼ cup kefir whey that you reserved after making kefir cheese or a packet of vegetable starter. Get your kefir grains here. Learn how to strain out the whey here.
4. Fill Jar with spring, RO, or good quality filtered water just until veggies are covered. Leave 2 inches head room and lightly, (so air can escape), screw on plastic lid. (Avoid using tap water as it often contains anti-bacterial agents such as clorine which will impede the good bacteria from fermenting.)
5. Leave at room temperature for 2-6 days. Stir each jar daily to push down any veggies that are rising above the liquid.
6. The veggies will be a bit sour and fizzy when ready. Refrigerate for up to 9 months.